Monday, 1 August 2016

Open Letter to Devendra Fadnavis

Dear Devendraji,

I trust that the plentiful monsoon that Maharashtra is currently experiencing would have brought you and your government some much needed relief. I fully understand and appreciate the mess you inherited after 15 years of poor governance and back to back droughts in your first two years in power. I also appreciate that its less than two years since you assumed power, and so it is too early to comment on the work being done by your government.

Nonetheless, the work being done under the Jalyukta Shivar Yojna is commendable. Hopefully droughts will indeed be a thing of the past in a few years time. The work done by your government on reducing the number of clearances required to start a business has been tremendous. The urban infrastructure projects your government is expediting will hopefully improve the quality of life in urban Maharashtra. Given all those facts, there is reason to cheer.

Having said that, I fear there are significant areas of concern that still remain and to be honest, I see little (if anything) being done on that front.

Lets start with the condition of urban roads. Admittedly my perspective is limited to what I have seen in Mumbai. Still, from the little that I see, nothing has improved. The roads in Mumbai still remain potholed. Why, the road outside the lane where I live has depressions that look like craters rather than potholes. I have also seen several spots where paver blocks have come out. I'm sure you're aware of the hundreds of crores lost due to the accidents and time lost due to the resultant traffic jams. We, the people, understand that there are vested interests there. Nonetheless, if the Chief Minister cannot fix the roads in his state capital, what hope does the rest of the state have?

A second issue is that of law and order. From what I hear, nothing has changed on the ground as far as policing is concerned. Its been a decade since the Supreme Court came out with its ruling on police reforms in the Prakash Singh case. Can we, the people of Maharashtra, hope that we will eventually see a police force that's free to do its duty, unhindered by political pressures?

Much the same can be said of the state judiciary. Being a member of the legal fraternity, you have first hand knowledge of the appalling shortage of judges and the extent of corruption in the lower courts. Non-functioning fast track courts hardly augur well for a state that has ambitions of being the best in the country.

And talking of reforms, can we expect that the supreme court directives in the TSR Subramanian case will see the light of day in our state? As the Chief Minister, you certainly know better than anyone else that your government's vision will remain just that until you reform the bureaucracy. If nothing else, it would be in your own interest to implement bureaucratic reforms.

Lastly Mr. Fadnavis, I urge you to give a serious thought to the power situation in our state. Having yourself grown up in a city where power cuts and load shedding are the norm, you can imagine perfectly well the condition of Maharashtrians in smaller towns and villages. I am aware of the fact that your government has sanctioned solar power projects for 87.5 MW. Hopefully, those projects will actually be implemented in the coming years.

I am neither an ardent supporter nor a blind detractor Mr. Chief Minister. Purely as a resident of your state, I request you and your team to give us a better life than previous governments have deemed us fit to enjoy. If you can do that, you have my unquestioned support in 2019- and on this count, I believe I speak for millions of Maharashtrians.

Respectfully,

A Proud Maharashtrian.

No comments: