Monday, 15 August 2016

Congratulations Mr. Vijay Goel

Dear Mr. Goel,

Let me start off by congratulating you and your team of officials. You have managed to travel across the world to Brazil, that too by business class, all of that on someone's else's money! Middle class Indians like us cannot dream of doing that, even on economy class. 

And talking of economy class, I presume you're aware that some (if not all) of our atheletes had to travel by economy class. Why, most of them were not even allowed to bring their personal trainers/ physios with them. You and your officials did a tremendous job of cutting down costs, especially since the funds came from taxpayers' money. If everyone starts travelling by business class, like your officials, that would be a huge strain on our country's economy. Thank you very much for the cost saving. 

Believe me Mr. Goel, I am quite jealous of you and your officials. India's medal tally, as I write, stands at zero and not a question has been asked, much less even a word spoken about you or any of your officials losing their jobs. Lesser mortals like us, who have to justify the salary we earn, would have long since been fired for much less. You and your officials, despite such an embarrassing performance do not need to answer any questions. Pardon me Sir, but I am green with envy.

I know that its just over a month since you assumed office and that you personally deserve little credit for the performance of our atheletes at Rio. Nonetheless, judging by your selfie spree and the controversy over the conduct of your entourage, I have little doubt that you will uphold India's glorious sporting traditions. Hopefully, some day India would have won as many olympic medals as Phelps. That would be a fantastic achievement, isn't it?

Let me make a small suggestion that would not only help preserve our glorious tradition, but also save a lot of taxpayers' money: boycott olympic games in the future! I know that you and your officials would lose out on a free vacation, but surely, other avenues can be found. 

Congratulations and thank you once again. Keep up the good work Mr. Goel. Your officials have successfully managed to make India an object of derision every olympics and I am confident they will continue doing so under your leadership.

A Middle Class Indian.

No comments: